You have so many options available for reaping the benefits of cannabis. You can go old-school and smoke a joint. Vaping offers a safer inhalation alternative. There’s using a bong or dab rig. You can consume an edible or swallow a capsule for a more discreet experience. Another method that offers simplicity and discretion is using cannabis drops.
What Are Cannabis Drops?
Cannabis drops (or cannabis oils) are liquid products that have undergone an extraction process. In most cases, the process involves the use of a solvent, which pulls out the cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, and other beneficial compounds, leaving the plant material behind. While CO2 is one of the most common (and safest) solvents, some extractors use butane or propane. The resulting liquid is then added to a carrier oil, such as MCT, olive, or avocado.
Benefits of Cannabis Drops
There are several benefits associated with cannabis drops, including:
- Ease of use
- Easy and simple dosing, thanks to the dropper included on the bottle cap
- Perfect for microdosing
- Fast-acting (depending upon the method of consumption)
- No inhalation, which means you don’t have to worry about a negative impact on your lungs
- No eating necessary, which can be beneficial for those with nausea or who have trouble keeping food down
Ways to Use Cannabis Drops
One of the most common ways to use cannabis drops is sublingually. All you need to do is place your desired dose under your tongue. The cannabinoids absorb directly into your bloodstream, providing fast-acting results. Another option is to drop your dose directly into your mouth and swallow it. Keep in mind that it takes longer for the drops to begin working since they have to be processed through your liver first.
If you’re not a fan of the flavor of your cannabis drops, you can mask the taste by adding your dose to a beverage or your food. Again, it will take longer for the cannabis to begin working. Where it only takes about 15 to 30 minutes for drops applied sublingually to take effect, eating or drinking your dose can take upwards of two hours.
Tips for Success
When using cannabis drops, keep these tips in mind to ensure a pleasant, successful experience:
- Start small. Begin with a low dosage and work your way up gradually to find the ideal amount.
- Have something to eat first. Taking drops on an empty stomach can result in nausea.
- Don’t mix cannabis drops with other intoxicating substances. Alcohol can increase the levels of THC in your blood, intensifying its effects.
- Take your drops at home. Taking your drops at home, in a safe and comfortable environment, can help if you become anxious or if you take too much. If you do take too much, drink some water, lie down, and try to remain calm. If you have a CBD only tincture on hand take a dose of that.
- There may be side effects. You may experience effects such as dry mouth, fatigue, or anxiety. If the effects are overwhelming, switching to a different strain may help.
Cannabis drops are a quick, easy way to reap the benefits of cannabis. There are incredible cannabis brands in the legal cannabis market offering a variety of formulas. Speak with a budtender at your dispensary about finding the best drops for you.